Sunday 2 June 2013

BAKING | Cabin Fever and a Green Treat

It's so lovely outside! After days of glum and rain, the sun came out to play! And even though I am usually not the outdoor type, I knew I had to get out and soak up the vitamin D while I could! I even got a handy little tracking app (RunKeeper) to keep me humoured! Since a nice walk is a free and fun form of exercise, and - to be fair - the most exercise I'll be doing, I just had to pop my tunes in and go for a random walk. I did get lost at one point, but what are smartphones and their gps maps for, right? Besides, I think I was more excited about trying out the app than anything else.

As a little treat, I had a slice of the Waldmeister cake I had made Thursday night. My friend Jenny would always bring some packets of "Waldmeister" flavoured jelly over when she came to visit, and since I had hardly touched them, it was time I started using them up. (I never found a good translation to that flavour, until the other day. Apparently it is known as "woodruff". It is quite a common flavour for sweets back in Germany, from what I remember, and I absolutely love it!) 




So the other day I did make a batch of jelly, but with my sister and mum on holiday, it's just me eating it. I wanted to try and make a cake with it and looked on chefkoch.de for recipes I could try. After sifting through the numerous recipes, I decided I would try this one, and so began the hunt for the vital ingredient: Quark. Our local shops did not stock it nor any adequat substitute. Finally found it in town in a massive Sainsbury's. So, I made the cake, finally having gathered all my ingredients (after realising I didn't actually have any flour in the house, so had to run back into local shop.) and unfortunately I overbaked the base a little. It's come out a little dry! :( But that's ok, It still tastes very refreshing. I have also halved the sugar content, cause I usually tone down on the sugar in my baking. Makes me feel less guilty.






My mixer broke completely. Disaster!!!


At the beginning of the week I went on a little train-journey to Bracknell to meet with Tash and Jo, and also meet Jo's furry niece Lola. We had a lovely day walking through Bracknell and having coffee and taking little Lola out for a walk in the park. 



Lola, either waiting for the ball or her drink
Thank you for reading and have a lovely day!


x ♥ x

No comments:

Post a Comment