Thursday 23 May 2013

BAKING | Happy Birthday to Mumsy and adding a little glitter

It's May. Which means: I am having to go through a hell of a lot of birthdays! Recently, it was mum's birthday. I don't usually need an excuse to bake a cake, but mother's birthday is a pretty good one.




I have been wanting to make a German cake called "Schneewittchenkuchen", which translates to "Snow White cake". I used to make this one all the time back in Germany. It is usually a traybake, but I found a recipe to make a Donauwelle (which to me seems the same, just with a different name. If anyone knows the difference between these two, please feel free to enlighten me!), and they had used a springform. I had to change the recipe slightly; pretty much halve the amount of sugar and use light brown cane instead of white granulated, I also used shortening instead of palm fat, and... that's all I can think of at the moment. Oh yeah, I used coconut milk instead of cow's milk. I couldn't completely veganise it, so tried substituting the ingredients I knew how to. 

Overall, it turned out alright! The custard-crème was a little too runny for my liking and the chocolate on top too hard, but people liked it. 




Cutting nice slices without everything exploding was a mission and a half!

The recipe I used was found on Chefkoch.de, but as I mentioned above, I modified it a little. 

Since I am here, I thought I'd show you a new nail polish I bought a while ago. I went into superdrugs and they had a 3 for 2 offer on all make-up, I think. Bought the Rimmel Wake Me UP Foundation in Natural Beige and a couple of nail polishes. 

The first one I had picked up was a Sequin Nail Effect polish by Barry M. Now, I have tried this on and, well, I can't decide whether I like it or not. I put two layers on and it does not look too nice with the second coat on, as the white in it is a little milky and paints right over the first coat of sequin-like glitter. It also gave the nails a structured feel, which I am guessing were the glitter bits poking out the top coat, so not sure how I feel about that bumpy feel. 

Two coats of the Barry M Sequin Effects

Quite glittery, right?! The second polish was a nice glittery one, too, but this one was from Maybelline. Even though the Barry M polish did not blow my mind, I am looking forward to trying the Maybelline polish, as it would make quite a nice colour for the summer, I think. It looks like the sea at night! 

Barry M Sequin Nail Effects in SNP1 White
Maybelline Color Show Polka Dots in 198 Shooting Stars






















That's it for now. Happy Birthday, Momma!

Thank you for reading and have a lovely day!


x ♥ x

No comments:

Post a Comment