Friday 28 June 2013

ART | Lots of (fake)blood and Franco in Drag?!

Last week I decided to travel up to London to catch up with some friends. Since London has such a variety of free museums/galleries/exhibitions to offer, my friend and I decided to at least go and see one. She suggested the Psycho Nacirema exhibition at the Pace Gallery. 

After wandering through Camden and grabbing a coffee there, we ventured towards Soho. Now, I don't think I have actually been to Soho before, at least not knowingly. We stumbled upon this amazing vintage magazine store. They had all sorts of vintage pictures and posters and bits and bops! I even found a German poster for- and this is a good guess- Audrey Hepburn's Funny Face. Everytime I came across another cool poster, I imagined, how awesome these would look framed and hung in a hallway! One day, when I have my own place, this will happen. They also sold, as the name suggests, loads of older issues of various magazines! While I was marvelling at Vogue covers from the 60s, Chelsey nearly exploded from excitement at finding Fangoria issues. What an amazing find this place was!

Something missing, but rearrange the letters.


The Pace Gallery was pretty much opposite the store. We didn't initially find it, as the entrance is rather inconspicuous. Maybe I just expected too much, you know, glass doors with art in the windows. I haven't been to many galleries, can you tell? Anyways, we kind of walked around the building and nearly got lost, even though we had noticed the actual entrance, but had dismissed it. We got back to that door we thought would not really be the entrance, oh, but it was! We weren't sure whether we had to ring the bell or just open, and that's when someone security-guard-looking walks towards us and just opens the door and goes in. We followed, of course, and went up to the gallery.


Please sign in, Chelsey!

There, you are first greeted by an infodesk. Past the infodesk was the entrance to "the Motel". You were invited to sign into a massive guestbook, which was pretty cool. And then there was loads of "blood". Bloody messages, handprints... you name it. There were 2 main rooms, excluding the area with the guestbook, a bathroom and a very peculiar third room, that showed slow motion videos on each wall. Now, if you are easily offended, I suggest you do not enter that last room. Or enter and try not to watch the videos. Not all four of them are could be deemed possibly offensive. Only one of them grossed me out a bit, had to look away. 

Look through it and watch what happens!

You got red on you.

If anyone is in London, do go check out the gallery. It is worth a look. Even though I still haven't figured out what the significance of that video room was. To me, apart from the bed itself, the images made not much sense in connection with the rest of the gallery. But, hey, what do I know about art. 
The exhibition will be there for at least until the end of July, although I was certain I had seen it to be there until September somewhere.! According to the Pace Gallery website, there will also be a James Franco book launch on the 2. July. 



Thank you for reading and go enjoy some culture!




x ♥ x

No comments:

Post a Comment