Tuesday 31 December 2013

LIFE | Weddings, Christmas and Family

Oh, good. It has only been nearly two months since my last post. Not that much can happen within two months...

Only maybe a two-week holiday back in the homeland, aka Germany, primarily to be my friend Jenny's bridesmaid and of course to see friends and family and enjoy a gander and an alcohol infused beverage down a traditional Christmas market. 

That's right, despite being a slave to retail, I was lucky enough to get 2 weeks off during Christmas season. Let's face it, if you work or have ever worked in retail: Christmas starts around September. You can notice it starting earlier than that, but the Xmas stock and workload starts building up end of September-ish. So to get nearly two weeks off to go see friends and family was amazing! To be fair, I had booked it off even before I started back there, but still. Germany was absolutely amazing! My friend Kathi, who I have known since grade 1 (a good 22 years now? Bloody hell!) had given me a key to her flat, so I could get bits done during the day when she was at work without having to lock myself out. I landed on the 13th November, got picked up by her fella Pascal and had lunch cooked by his mother. Went to the flat and got straight onto working on the script for the wedding gift. That's right, we made a film amongst other fun gifts! Wednesday, Thursday and Friday we'd work on things for the wedding. When Kathi was at work, I'd venture into town, where I had spent half my adolescent life, and then get back and work on the icing roses I wanted to top cupcakes with. One of my bridesmaids duties was to make cupcakes after all.



Chocolate, Vanilla and Black Bottom Minis

Kathi would get home and work on photos for a sticker album and 2 posters to go with our film and the album. I think we spent about 5 hours each on thursday and friday, and Kathi also did bits whilst at work. On Saturday we decided to shoot our scenes in Hamburg. First scene was outside a cinema the couple frequent, and it was busy as heck. 


 



Not only was it a Saturday, the cinema is right on the High Street! It's like trying to film something on Oxford Street midday on a Saturday! We went on to film a scene at the church the wedding would take place at and after lunch, we went down to the harbour and did a boat-tour. Apparently these tours are included in our train fare! Sweet! 

Shattered, we made our way home and continued filming the next day. Sunday's shoot was mainly based in locations around town and our old school. We had to partially get changed in alleyways. Quite an experience! And it started raining, too, which made filming a little difficult and wet. We managed to film most of our scenes though and had indoor scenes left to film in the evening. As tired as we were at the end of it, the result is absolutely brilliant, thanks to Pascal's excellent editing work! Jenny and Fabian loved it, and that is all that matters. 


On my last day I got to spend some time with Jenny before leaving. We stopped at 3 Xmas markets (literally stopped and took a picture of the first two) and got us a mug of Hot Choc with a kick! I had Baileys in mine - I believe - and Jenny had a mint liqueur in hers. I kept my mug, as it makes a lovely souvenir. It is now my mug at work, so no touchy!!

Straight after getting back home, I only went on yet another season of nightshifts. "'Tis the season to avoid Grumpy and Stressed, and doze during the day due to lack of a sleeping pattern, any sleeping pattern." Yep, this year's night shifts have not done me any good. My bank account may be happier, but my health isn't. On my days off I'd just fall asleep for an hour or two all throughout the day. On the days I work, I'll get to sleep around 10/11 and wake up around 1pm, fall asleep and by 4pm I am up again. And all this despite trying to tire myself out at the gym after work! (Oh yeah, I had joined the gym a week or two before going to Germany and managed to go in 4 times a week most weeks.) I think it is safe to say that this year's night shifts are not as good as I had expected. (75mins till New Year and I am getting sleepy!)

Jenny's wedding was not the only wedding in the last 2 months. One of my cousins got hitched, too! Now, I have never been that close to my family over here, so initially wasn't that excited about the wedding. But for the first time in ....quite possibly ever, I have had a blast with my cousins! We drank together and the family pretty much owned the dancefloor! It was crazy! It was good and long overdue! 


My cousin Mala and I at the wedding

I saw most of them again on Christmas Day. We ate and drank and went for a walk....drank more. It's really nice to hang out with them! We never really made an effort with each other and never got to know each other the way we really are (we are so Asian. We only know each others "family-self". You know, the one that makes you look like a golden child.). I hope we get more chances in the new year to hang out with each other.


Some of the cousins and I on Xmas Day.
So, with one hour left of 2013 here in the UK - and me tucked in bed already- I would like to wish whoever is reading this a very happy new year!! I personally hope it brings me a few positive changes. I know some of my friends could do with something good to start the year with, too. I won't really do resolutions, as most resolutions are things that I feel don't need a change in digit to be done. The one thing I do want to achieve within the next year is to have tackled the Rory Gilmore reading challenge and watch a film a day, or at least 365 films within the year. That's my goals. And to stay positive, motivated and just generally be a good human being.

On that note, HAPPY NEW YEAR and thank you for reading!


x ♥ x

No comments:

Post a Comment